On the second day in the new house, we noticed that the water level in our toilet was receding, but didn’t know why. On day three, we heard air bubbles coming from the toilet. Day four, the shower would clog within five minutes of the water running. Finally, we noticed sediment in the hallway tub even though we’ve never used it. We had a clog.
So we called a plumber friend to investigate the problem. An initial snake of the tub didn’t clear it out, so J went into the crawl space to check it out. Roots! We have several trees on our property, but we weren’t worried about them causing damage. We had a few choices:
- Report it to the home warranty and try to get it fixed.
- Re-do all of the pipes leading to the sewer to clear the roots. My aunt just had this done to her house and it was thousands of dollars worth of work.
- Snake a little more to clear it out temporarily.
The home warranty explicitly excludes this type of damage so we couldn’t go that route. Obviously, we picked the cheaper of the remaining choices. So J called a friend who had heavy duty pipe clearing equipment. For $100, they cleaned our pipes and we’re good to go. Rather than getting new pipes, J suggested that we clear them out every few years and throw root killer down the toilet.
No picture today. Luckily, all of this happened while I was at work on Tuesday. From what C described, the stuff that was cleared from the pipes was disgusting. I won’t go into detail, but stuff that was flushed got caught up in the roots and came out during the snaking. Lesson learned: don’t flush ANYTHING down the toilet except for bodily extracts and toilet paper.