Remember the garbage pile on the patio from the closet renovation? I was able to save a few things from the wrath of backyard cleaning monster that C has become. I always planned on turning the old closet doors into a headboard and was able to convince him to save them.
The doors were 6 feet tall, but the bed is only 5 feet wide so we had to cut them down by a foot. Next, the two doors were stacked on top of each other and screwed together with metal brackets.
I didn’t plan the assembly very well so I did the next few steps in the wrong order. What I should have done was drilled holes to thread the buttons through then add the foam and batting. Instead, I added foam and batting before drilling holes. It wasn’t impossible, but the drill kept getting stuck on the foam when it punched through the wood. A lesson for the next tufted headboard I make.
My mom was throwing away the foam egg crates that are used for beds. I recycled them and reused them as padding for the wood. I wrapped the layers with batting and stapled everything down.
Since I was making a semi-tufted headboard, I need covered buttons. The big covered button kits cost $1 each and I needed 14. Fourteen dollars for buttons? Um…no thanks. There had to be a cheaper way to get covered buttons. With a little online research, I found that people actually cover regular buttons (duh, why didn’t I think of that). But where could I find something that was as big as a quarter and costs about the same.? I could have used quarters, but I used metal washers. They cost about 10 cents and were the exact size I was looking for.
First, I cut circles of fabric that were twice the size of the washer. A one inch washer needed a two inch fabric circle. The fabric was about 1/2″ beyond the edge of the washer. Second, I straight stitched around the perimeter of the fabric. When I had stitched around the entire circle, I pulled tight around the washer and sewed it shut. Ta-da! An inexpensive covered button.
Next, I stapled the fabric which was a white faux leather. I picked the faux leather since it would be easy to clean. The last headboard I made was from canvas duck cloth and I made it look even dirtier when I tried to clean it.
Once the fabric was secure, I used twine to thread the buttons through the foam and wood. I bought a five inch upholstery needle to get through all of the layers. Since my DIY buttons didn’t have the hook for the thread, I looped twine from the left to right side and back to the left. Then I looped it through the middle of the so it would centered on the button.
To ensure that I would sew through the hole, I went from the back of the headboard to punch a hole in the fabric. Then, I used the small mark to guide the needle to the back. Another lesson for the next headboard is to make the holes bigger.
Since the faux leather was so thick, it was hard to get a nice folded edges. It isn’t as square and tight at the top as I would have liked, but I can live with it. Not too shabby considering this oversized headboard only cost $25 in fabric, batting and washers.